Sunday, November 8, 2015

Happy Sunday, and a quick delicious cornbread/chili recipe!

Happy Sunday evening! :)

It's not so happy here actually.  My NFL team just lost.  Heartbreaking.  However, during food prep today, I threw together one of my favorite chili recipes that was a perfect pick me up for dinner tonight!

It's pretty simple - just put all the ingredients in a crock pot, mix it up and one hour before it's done, throw a cornbread mixture on top and cook for 1 more hour!  Delicious.

Mexican chili with cornbread topping

- 4 raw chicken breasts
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 diced yellow onion**
 - 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can tomato soup (I used 1 can tomato sauce, 1 can tomato paste)
~~~~~~
- cornbread mix topping - you can make this from scratch or use Jiffy box cornbread and mix according to package directions 

**I used 3 tiny yellow onions because I needed to use them up from one of my CSAs

Place all ingredients, besides cornbread in crock pot, cook on high for 4-6 hours.  Once the chicken begins to fall apart, shred, and cover with cornbread mixture.  Cover and cook one more hour.  The cornbread browned better on the top for me when I took the lid off for the 15 minutes.  Slice and serve like you would a pie (see photo below).

Serve and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment