Thursday, January 2, 2014

It is time

 

Saturday I have my first long run in my training schedule.  I’m not too freaked about the distances for the next few weeks but when the training runs boast 16, 18, and 20 mile runs – I am terrified.  I have never run more than 14 miles at one time, and even my last half marathon was a struggle.  I made a promise to myself when I signed up in November, that no matter what, I would finish every single one of my training runs.  I told myself that the first Saturday after NYE would be my first day of training.  Three months ago, that seemed like a good idea.  Now it’s just daunting. 

I have realized several things when reviewing my training schedule.  Running has to come before socializing.  I am out of town several weekends for wedding events, showers, and birthdays in the next few months and it will be tough training.  I will have to be okay with change – normally, I am not.  For example, my bachelorette party is scheduled for the day of my 20 mile run in my training schedule.  Instead, I will have to do my 20 mile run the day before, thus throwing me off the schedule – again, change.  I can do this – I really want it.

When the weather gets warm, I will still have to make sure my Friday nights are spent relaxing and preparing for the next day’s long run, instead of out with my friends.  I will have to remember that food is for fuel, to prepare myself for those long runs and grueling training schedule.  I can do this – I really want it.

My wedding and 30th birthday are within a week of each other in June.  I'm also running Ragnar that same week.  I want to finish a full marathon before those events.  I’m not doing this for anyone else but me, to see if I can, to go beyond my limits. 

I can do this – I really want it.

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.


I will keep you posted.

No comments :

Post a Comment