Friday, November 8, 2013

The last half marathon of 2013 and mixed emotions

On a whim, I signed up for a half marathon that occurs two days after Thanksgiving.  I signed up mostly because I’ve been feeling really sad that I don’t get to run anymore long races in 2013.  I have a couple 10ks and a 5k left this year but I really wanted to get one cold weather long race in before the year’s end.  I did a little research and found the Schaumburg Half Marathon Turkey Trot in Illinois.  I picked this one because it’s a point to point race, which I’ve always wanted to try.  Being that it’s two days after Thanksgiving, it’ll be a nice, relaxed race where I can take it easy the day before.  I have mixed emotions about this race – I don’t want the year of my first half marathon to end.  However, being that I live in Wisconsin, I know I can’t expect to run a half marathon in the winter months, simply because they don’t exist. 
I’m really looking forward to getting one more long race in before the rest of the year’s 10ks and 5k.  I’m still hoping to PR, but if I don’t, I’m happy with that too – a finish is a finish.
I love this and will probably post it another 100 times this winter :)
Do you “race hibernate” in the winter? 
Any last races you’re sneaking in before the weather turns?

No comments :

Post a Comment