Monday, October 28, 2013

A PR, and awesome salad, and re-learning how to walk

When I signed up for the Great Lakes 10k series, I didn’t realize that the first race fell on the day after my 15k.  I was super sore after Saturday’s race, and when I woke up Sunday morning, I was a little worried about how the day would go down.  I was bound and determined to do it though, even if I had to crawl to the finish.  The Great Lakes series, if you sign up, and complete, all six races, you get a medal and a free sweatshirt at the end of the series.  I wasn’t expecting anything big and when I got to the race, I was wearing my long sleeve from the race the day before.  I had several people come up to me and congratulate me on my effort of doing back to back races like that.  It was really cold at the start, but about 15 minutes into the race, I was really regretting wear a long sleeve.  The race course was sunny and was two 5k loops.  I saw my fiancé’s mom and brother at mile 2, and was feeling okay.  Seeing them rejuvenated me and I kept going.  After I made the turn for loop two, I was wondering how I was ever going to finish.  I was really sore from the day before.  However, runners never quit and quitters never run, so…I kept pushing on.  I played a little game with myself while I ran.  I kept saying, if I make it to the yellow fire hydrant, I can slow down, then I would say if I make it to the speed limit sign, I can slow down.  I kept doing that, and didn’t have to slow down once.  As I came around the corner of mile five, I looked at my watch and calculated where I was at.  I quickly realized that if I kept pushing, I could have a 10k PR.  I was NOT expecting that.  My legs were killing me, my lungs were bursting and I somehow kept running.  I had the time clock in sight, and I realized I would have to dig deep and sprint my last .1 miles to get a PR.  I have never hurt so badly at the end of a race…I PR’d – by 6 seconds.  This is not a huge PR, but a PR is a PR especially after coming off a 9.5 mile race the day before.   I grabbed a bottle of water and chatted with the fiance’s mom and brother for a little bit and we took some pictures.  I was super tired and super sore…and really, really hungry. 
My fiance's mom makes awesome signs for my races :)
I treated myself to a barbecue chicken salad from the Cheesecake Factory.  This thing is delicious.  It comes with chicken, black beans, avocado, corn, romaine, and various other deliciousness.  I always get it without cucumbers and add feta cheese.  YUM!  Perfect end to a PR. 
Maybe, from now on, when I PR, I will reward myself with that – if I know that is at the end of every race, I’m expecting a lot of PRs.  Also, the Packers beat the Vikings last night so that’s the ‘icing on the cake.’

In the end, I did it.  I completed my back to back races, and ran a total of 16 miles in two days.  That is the most I’ve ever run in a two day period in my life.  Today, I’m extremely sore but extremely proud of myself.  I have yoga tonight – hopefully that will help my aching muscles.

No comments :

Post a Comment