Monday, December 14, 2015

Body Attack and early morning routines

Monday workout
-         -  1 hour Body Attack class

I’m already sore from this morning’s class and it only ended a ½ hour ago.  Body Attack is awesome if you’ve never done it before.  It’s a HIIT style class where you’re constantly moving, and the moves are all pre-choreographed by the instructor so you’re always going with the beat of the music.

I had never tried this class before and figured what better time to go than super early on a Monday morning?  ;)

I’ve been asked on several occasions “how I manage to get to the gym so early.”  The answer is quite simple – planning and prepping.

The night before, I lay everything out – socks, shoes, water bottle, daily contact lenses, etc.  I put my banana on the counter, and generally, during the work week, I am in bed between 9:30 and 10:30, and my morning will look like this:

4:35 a.m. – alarm goes off, snooze for a minute or two more, and finally crawl out of bed
4:40  – brush teeth, get dressed, drink some water, grab keys and a banana
4:55  – walk out the door, while eating a banana – I have to eat something before a workout and bananas are enough calories to keep my energy up without making me feel sick
5:15  – class starts
6:30 a.m. – usually on my way back home
6:45 – quick shower, coffee, type up blog post or read e-mails
7:15 – pack lunch, etc.
7:20 – finish getting ready and let the dog out
7:45 – leave for work

On the mornings I work out, I have everything planned to the minute.  I have learned that sacrificing my coffee time for an extra 10 minutes of sleep is SO not worth it.  I need to have a cup in me before I head to work.  That being said, I’m far more awake on the days I work out in the morning, and am able to avoid the afternoon slump.

I will be honest – some mornings, it is VERY hard to crawl out of a warm bed.  Mondays are actually the easiest because I can go to bed early on Sunday evenings… Fridays are the hardest.  Working out in the morning is best for my schedule as it allows me extra time to make healthier meals in the evening and relax or do something fun.  I also do a lot of food prep on Sundays which really helps keep things running smoothly.  I try and figure out what I feel like wearing that day while I’m driving home after the gym.  I don’t wear very much makeup and my hairstyle leans more toward blow drying/straightening, or putting it up in a clip most days.  If I’m feeling fancy or have extra time, I might curl it too. 

I am often okay with 6 hours of sleep per night during the week because I make up for it on the weekends. J

I’ve found that it helps to write down my workout plan and that it’s better to have a gym where I really like the classes and instructors, than one that just convenient.  Find a combination that works for you.  Try the lunch break workout, try the evening workout, and you’ll find pretty quickly what works best for your routine - and don't beat yourself up if you miss a few mornings 

Happy 10 days before Christmas! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment