Monday, May 11, 2015

Running on LAMBEAU, and you've got what it takes.

Today's workout -
- 20 minute Cybex warmup
- 2.68 mile run on the treadmill
"Sometimes it's hard, you don't want to look over your shoulder because you don't want to remember where you've been....no one can tell you how to get there - it's a road you take all by yourself."

This is a quote from a song I loved growing up.  I heard the song the other day on one of my fabulous Pandora stations.

I was on the treadmill this morning and I got really choked up.  After everything happened with my ACL last fall, I had a few days where I couldn't even move my leg without pain and thought that running again was a longshot, and even if it happened, it would be down a long road that I couldn't even consider the end of.  

Sunday is my first race since my surgery.  Just over 6 months post-surgical.  It did not come easy, and I still have days where my knee aches after/during running but it's an ache, not a shooting pain which apparently is bad. :)  I'm nowhere near the pace I was at last summer but it gives me something to work toward.  I'm starting over - with a new stride, with a new mentality, and a new appreciation for the ability to run.  

Nowadays, when I don't want to get out of bed at 4:30 a.m. to go run, I remind myself of the days, and months when I couldn't run and would have done pretty much anything to do so.

I cannot wait until Sunday's race.  I am excited to wake up at 3:30 a.m. to drive with one of my Ragnar sisters to the race, I am excited to run with people again, I am excited to cross a finish line for the first time in months with friends that I never anticipated needing as much as I do.  Two of my Ragnar sisters and I are running the marathon relay, along with two other teammates.  My leg, combined with the 1.7 mile finish as a team on LAMBEAU FIELD (home of the Green Bay Packers aka my favorite NFL team), totals 5.7 miles.  Not far, but the furthest I've run and my first race back.  I am excited to participate in a post-race party as a runner again, not a volunteer.  I feel terrified, but ready.

Next time your head is telling you that the end of the road is so far away, remember this post.  It feels like forever at the time, but I am living proof that the road does end.  We can do whatever we set our minds to, as long as we do not give up.  Push your body and your mind to their breaking point and you can achieve the impossible.  The difference between the possible and impossible is "I'm"...coincidence?  I think not.

Get out there and get those dreams.  They're waiting.

   





No comments :

Post a Comment